Interim Fire Safety Assessor Register
Welcome to the Interim Fire Safety Assessor Register, provided by Fire Protection Association Australia (FPA Australia) to serve as an interim tool for building owners and industry seeking competent fire safety practitioners.
Practitioners listed on the Register have declared they meet minimum requirements for experience, insurance, professional conduct and commitment to future accreditation. FPA Australia recommends that building owners in New South Wales use individuals listed on the Register to assess essential fire safety measure performance for the purpose of Annual or Supplementary Fire Safety Statements, prior to an accreditation scheme being recognised by the NSW Government.
In July 2017 the NSW Government announced a series of building regulatory reforms, largely with respect to fire safety, which came into effect on 1 October 2017. You can learn more at our NSW reforms FAQ.
The new Regulations require some types of fire protection work in NSW to be conducted by a ‘competent fire safety practitioner’ (CFSP), in particular the assessment of essential fire safety measure performance for the purposes of Annual and Supplementary Fire Safety Statements.
The NSW Government intends to recognise appropriately rigorous industry schemes that accredit individuals as CFSPs. As such, FPA Australia is applying for recognition of two classes of accreditation in the Fire Protection Accreditation Scheme (FPAS): Fire Systems Design (already available) and Fire Safety Assessor (soon to be released). The Fire Safety Assessor class of accreditation will be tailored to fit the new requirements for practitioners conducting assessments for the purposes of Annual and Supplementary Fire Safety Statements.
Between 1 October and the government’s recognition of an appropriate scheme, building owners will be required to satisfy themselves and state that the fire protection practitioners they engage are competent.
The FPA Australia Interim Fire Safety Assessor Register connects building owners and industry looking for assistance in preparing Annual or Supplementary Fire Safety Statements with FPA Australia Corporate members who currently do this work, and meet minimum thresholds regarding experience, insurance, professional conduct and commitment to transition to accreditation in future.
Companies and individual practitioners listed on the Register have demonstrated/declared to FPA Australia that:
- The individual listed is employed by an FPA Australia Corporate member and has a minimum of three years’ experience in undertaking inspections/assessments for the purpose of completing Annual and Supplementary Fire Safety Statements in NSW;
- The individual listed is covered by Public and Product Liability Insurance ($10m minimum) and Professional Indemnity Insurance ($2m minimum);
- They have read and agreed to abide by the FPA Australia Code of Practice for companies, and Code of Professional Conduct for individuals;
- They have committed to undertake all assessment of essential fire safety measures in accordance with the relevant regulations, Codes and Australian Standards;
- They hold or have access to current and historical Standards and Codes for the essential fire safety measures that they assess; and
- That they are committed to applying for accreditation in the FPAS Fire Safety Assessor class within 90 days of it becoming available.
Note that inclusion on the Register is not evidence of an individual’s competency or equivalent to accreditation. The Register is intended purely as an interim information tool to provide building owners with a central listing of individuals who have demonstrated they meet the above requirements. Building owners should take any steps they consider necessary to ensure they are satisfied that any individuals selected from the Register are competent. FPA Australia does not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy of the information provided, nor do they accept either directly or indirectly any liabilities, losses and damages arising from the use and application of this information.
If you are an FPA Australia Corporate member and would like to be listed on the Register, log in using your company details and submit your application here.
Please click on the company name for contact details